Back to all

Simplifying Social Care: Part 2

At ECL Care Solutions we understand that navigating the social care journey is very complex and frequently comes at a difficult, stressful time for families and their loved ones. It is often reassuring to understand the steps of an unfamiliar process. In this second part of a series of blogs covering the different stages of getting support from social care, we will look at the Care or Support Plan and Financial Assessment.

If your local authority determines that you have eligible needs for support, you should be involved in the care and support planning process so that you are able to make important decisions about the type of support that you would like. At the same time, a trained advisor will assess your finances and work out whether you should pay towards the cost of your care and support.

Your care or support plan is personalised and depends on your needs. You may be offered anything from information services, support to gain employment, home care or even residential care.

Your care plan should cover:

  • Your goals and the outcomes you want to achieve
  • Your assessed needs
  • Information and advice on how to prevent, reduce or delay your future social care needs
  • Your personal budget figure, the amount of money it costs to arrange your care and support

Individualised care plans will aim to support you in the following ways:

  • Encourage and support you to live independently
  • To have as much control over your own life as possible
  • To participate in society as an equal
  • To have access to employment and family life
  • Ensure you have the best possible quality of life
  • Ensure your dignity and self-respect

Social care is not free for everyone and how much you contribute to your care will depend on your financial situation, which will be examined in your Financial Assessment. This looks at:

  • Your regular income – only your income can be assessed not that of your family members.
  • Your capital – if you have jointly held savings with a spouse or partner, the total value is divided equally between joint owners.
  • The local authority must also assess what your living costs are as well as all “disability related expenditure” which is any reasonable item or adjustment needed for a disabled person to live independently.

Once the local authority has worked out your income and living costs, it has an amount of money 'left over', from which you could be asked to pay a contribution for your care and support. If the Financial Assessment finds that you are over the threshold for council funding eligibility, then your needs can be met by self-funding.

At ECL Care Solutions, we are able to help you explore how your needs can be met through self-funded means to enable you to live as independently at home as possible. Please contact us on 0343 253 8729 for an initial telephone conversation and a follow-up by an Independence Advisor who will visit you at home to talk through your available options and help to design your package of support. 

Leave your comment Close